CTT Independent Oversight Panel
A CTT Independent Oversight Panel has been established, which met for the first time on 11 October 2017. Its membership was chosen from among people who have not previously been involved in CTT but who have relevant expertise in cardiology, trial methodology, treatment evaluation, pharmacovigilance and communication.
The panel members are:
Professor Emily Banks: Professor Emily Banks is an epidemiologist and public health physician from the Australian National University. She works mainly with large scale data on chronic disease. She has specific expertise and interest in pharmacoepidemiology and medication safety. Professor Banks was Chair of the Australian Advisory Committee on the Safety of Medicines from 2010-2016.
Mr Michael Blastland: Mr Blastland is a writer and broadcaster, whose work - notably for the BBC where he founded the More or Less programme - has focussed on the numbers in public argument. He also teaches and advises widely on risk and data communication. His books include: “The Tiger That Isn’t: Seeing Through a World of Numbers” (with Andrew Dilnot); and “The Norm Chronicles” (with David Spiegelhalter) about risk and chance.
Professor Stephen Evans: Professor Evans is a medical statistician and professor of Pharmacoepidemiology, based at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. He is a European Commission appointed independent expert member of the Pharmacovigilance (Drug Safety) and Risk Assessment Committee at the European Medicines Agency, and was President of the International Society of Pharmacoepidemiology for 2010/2011.
Dr Robert Temple: Dr Temple is the US Food and Drug Administration’s Deputy Center Director for Clinical Science, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, and Acting Deputy Director of the Office of Drug Evaluation. He is responsible for overseeing the regulation of cardio-renal, neuropharmacologic, and psychopharmacologic drug products, and also has a long-standing interest in the design and conduct of clinical trials.
Professor Peter Weissberg: Professor Weissberg is a cardiologist who was appointed as the first British Heart Foundation (BHF) Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine in the University of Cambridge in 1994. He was Medical Director of the BHF from 2004 until 2016, and is a Fellow of Wolfson College at the University of Cambridge.
Dr Janet Wittes: Dr Wittes is a statistician who founded Statistics Collaborative in 1990. She is a Fellow of the American Statistical Association, the Society for Clinical Trials (SCT), and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and an elected member of the International Statistical Institute. She was formerly Editor-in-Chief of Controlled Clinical Trials, the official journal of the SCTs.
The Terms of Reference of this Panel are to:
- Monitor progress with pre-specified and exploratory analyses of the updated CTT database.
- Advise on the interpretation of analyses that are specified in the published protocol and, as the Panel considers appropriate, recommend additional exploratory analyses.
- Scrutinise requests from both CTT Collaborators and external parties for particular analyses, and to advise on an appropriate way to address and interpret them.
- Seek an external statistical audit of particular analyses if required to address concerns.
- Advise on the governance arrangements of the project, in particular (but not limited to) the approach to requests for data-sharing and additional analyses.
- Ensure that the findings are presented in a balanced way so that doctors, patients and the public can make informed decisions.
Declarations of Interest for the above panel members can be found here. Signed copies of these documents are held on file by the CTT Secretariat in Oxford.